Welcome to day 9 in the #AtoZChallenge of random reflections. For my letter I post, I choose the word “identity” as a thought starter. In the eBook 23 Days Self-Discovery Journaling Challenge by Mari L. McCarthy, the first exercise is to write about who you are right now. The exercise asks you to describe who you are right now with regards to various aspects of your life, such as family, friends, work, hobbies and spirituality. This sounds like an interesting challenge, so here goes.
1. Family. I am proud to be a wife. I am a daughter and a sister, though my contact with my family of origin is at a low level due to distance and various other circumstances.
2. Work. I don’t have a paid job. In fact, Facebook lists my blog as my place of employment, but I’ll get to speak about that later. I do day activities at a day center for people with intellectual disabilities. I like it when I can help out the staff or help other clients. I like snoezelen, going for walks and simple cooking activities.
3. Social life. My social life consists primarily of online contact with peers. I am active in hundreds of Facebook groups and on several E-mail lists. Through these venues, I’ve “met” quite a few interesitng people.
4. Art (and crafts and self-expression). I have to interpret this category broadly, because I’m not really an artist. I write. This is my primary form of self-expression. I also tried my hand at many crafts, but haven’t yet been able to be successful.
If I’m supposed to write about what artsy stuff I enjoy, I’m a big fan of YA fiction and memoirs and of country music.
5. Hobbies. I am an avid blogger and finally seem to be able to get back in the swing of it. I love sharing my views, experiences and interests with the world.
6. Spirituality. I believe in God and consider myself an extreely progressive Christian. That being said, I derive meaning from many spiritual sources, including New Age’ish stuff.