Today, Tuesday Ten is all about quotes. I love quotes. In this sense, I’m not lucky that most quotes today are shared as pictures on social media, although maybe I’m lucky not to get enough of them this way. I use quotes for jumpstarting my writing process sometimes. I also use quotes as part of my art journal pages, although I’ve not done one in a long while because I find it a nuisance to have to ask someone to print and cut out a quote for me.
Today, I share ten of my favorite quotes, or more accurately, ten randomly assembled quotes I happened to come across and happen to like. I have attempted to make a good mixture between the inspirational and the funny.
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” – Winston Churchill
- “I love deadlines I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” – Douglas Adams
- “Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” – Mark Twain
- “Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” – Virginia Woolf
- “I decided early in graduate school that I needed to do something about my moods. It quickly came down to a choice between seeing a psychiatrist or buying a horse. Since almost everyone I knew was seeing a psychiatrist, and since I had an absolute belief that I should be able to handle my own problems, I naturally bought a horse.” – Kay Redfield Jamison
- “There is within each one of us a potential for goodness beyond our imagining; for giving which seeks no reward; for listening without judgment; for loving unconditionally.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.” – Sigmund Freud
- “The greatest need that any child has is the need for unconditional love” – Brenda Boyd
That last one isn’t famous (although I bet the Redfield Jamison one isn’t famous to anyone not involved in mental health either), but I got it out of Parenting a Teen or Young Adult with Asperger Syndrome (Autistic Spectrum Disorder by Brenda Boyd. The quote, she says, came from her original publication in 2003.